“Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.”
- 1 Peter 3:15close1 Peter 3:15 15 But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect. . . . (ESV)
Sharing your personal testimony with a friend, co-worker, neighbor or family member who does not have a relationship with Jesus is one of the most powerful ways to show God’s love to them. Take time to write out the answers to the 4 questions below. Then put your answers together into one 2-3 minute story about what Jesus has done in your life. Practice it. And be prepared to share your story when God provides the opportunity!
1. What my life was like before I met JESUS.
What common circumstances would an unbeliever identify with? What were your attitudes that an unbeliever would identify with? What was most important to you? What substitute for God did you use to find meaning in your life? (sports/fitness, success at work, marriage, sex, making money, drugs/alcohol, having fun, entertainment, popularity, hobbies)
2. How I realized I needed JESUS.
What significant steps led up to your conversion? What needs, hurts, or problems made you dissatisfied with the way you were living without God? (Choose a theme) How did God get your attention? What motivated you?
3. How I committed my life to JESUS.
What specifically did you do to step across line? Where did it happen? What did you say in your prayer? Be specific.
4. The difference JESUS has made in my life.
What benefits have you experienced or felt? What problems have been resolved? How has Jesus helped change you for the better? How has it helped your relationships? Give a current example.