The Desperate Daughter
Jesus speaks to the issue of feeble faith
Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
The Scene – Verses 1-4
- As Jesus was on his way to Jairus’ house, what was the scene like?
- Describe what the crowd might have been like.
- What was the woman’s medical condition?
- What efforts had she gone through for relief?
- Did her efforts help her?
- What did she know about Jesus?
- How did she approach Jesus, and why?
- What gave her the confidence that touching Jesus would heal her body?
- What reasons did she have NOT to believe God for a healing.
- What was she risking socially by this action?
- What was she risking religiously by this action?
- What was she risking physically by this action?
- How strong was her faith at this moment?
- Did she love Jesus?
- Why didn’t she speak to Jesus instead of touching his clothes?
- What happened to her illness when she touched Jesus?
- Why did Jesus ask “who touched my clothes”?
- Did Jesus already know?
- What did the disciples say in response?
- If everyone was touching Jesus, why did virtue leave his body when the woman touched him, but not when others did?
- Why was the woman fearing and trembling when Jesus began looking around?
- When she fell down at his feet, what did she tell him?
- What did Jesus say to the woman in response?
- What did Jesus mean by saying, “be healed of your disease?” Wasn’t she already healed?
Next Week’s Scriptures
The secret seeker: Jesus speaks to the issue of careful curiosity – John 3:1-10