Assistance and Community Resources
There may be seasons in life where you find yourself in urgent need of financial assistance. Maybe you’ve had an emergency and have unexpected medical bills, or have lost a job and are struggling to pay your utility bills or your mortgage. In order to assist you during those times, we offer some benevolence services to our members. For non-members, we partner with local agencies to assist in life-needs.
2-1-1 Help Referral Service
2-1-1 operators offer help in 180+ languages to help you find resources for a variety of needs, including child care, food, housing, paying bills and other needs. Residents can get connected with resources in our community anytime through Michigan 2-1-1 by:
- Calling 2-1-1 or 1-800-887-1107
- Texting their zip code to 898211
- Or searching online
Below is a listing of other resources that can help.
Many organizations have stepped up to offer food assistance during this time. Please click the links to each organization’s website below for the latest information on hours and instructions.
- Buist Community Center – 8306 Byron Center Ave. SW, Byron Center
- Byron Community Ministries – 8250 Byron Creek Drive, Byron Center
- Catholic Charities West Michigan’s God’s Kitchen – 303 S. Division Ave., Grand Rapids
- Family Network of Wyoming – 1029 44th St., Wyoming
- Fair Food Network’s Double Up Food Bucks – Multiple locations
- Feeding America West Michigan – Multiple Locations
- Flat River Outreach Ministries – 11535 Fulton St. E, Lowell
- Green Apple Pantry – 4307 Kalamazoo Ave. SE, Grand Rapids
- Heartside Gleaning Initiative – 1111 Godfrey Ave. SE, Suite 250, Grand Rapids
- Kent County Community Action – 121 Franklin St. SE, Suite 110, Grand Rapids
- Kentwood’s Little Free Pantry – 355 48th St. SE, Kentwood
- North End Community Ministry – 214 Spencer NE, Grand Rapids
- Northwest Food Pantry – 1224 Dave Ave. NW, Grand Rapids
- Meals on Wheels Western Michigan – Multiple locations
- North Kent Connect – 10075 Northland Drive NE, Rockford
- Other Way Ministries – 710 Fulton St. W, Grand Rapids
- South End Community Outreach Ministries – 1545 Buchanan Ave. SW, Grand Rapids
- Streams of Hope – 280 60th Street SE, Grand Rapids
- United Church Outreach Ministry – 1311 Chicago Dr. SW, Wyoming
- YMCA & Kids’ Food Basket – Multiple locations
Additional food sources can be found at Helpkent.org.
Child Care Services
If you are parent or family member who is in the essential workforce and in need child care, you can go online to complete this form with your child care needs or call 2-1-1 for help.
If you need help paying housing bills or other essential services, call 2-1-1. Additionally, check with your mortgage companies as some are offering mortgage assistance and relief options to those impacted by COVID-19. These local organizations may also be able to help:
- Grand Rapids Urban League – 616.245.2207
- Home Repair Services – 616.241.2601
- Inner City Christian Federation – 616.336.9333
Help with Technology
Michiganders age 60 and older can get free help learning how to navigate technology such as videoconferencing and telemedicine through GetSetUp, an education technology company dedicated to creating economic and learning opportunities for older adults. An internet connection is all that’s needed to access the resource. Click here to learn more.
Do you have a suggestion of a service that should be added this page? Let us know what we may be missing by contacting our office staff.
Download our Assistance Agencies document.
Applying for Assistance with The Pentecostals
To be considered for assistance, you must be a member of The Pentecostals of Kentwood and have enrolled in our Pathway group. You’ll be asked to complete an application and financial history, and then meet with the Pastor to discuss your situation.
For further information, contact our pastoral staff.