From Curiosity to Faith
Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
Read: Exodus 3:1-5, 11-13. Exodus 4:1-9
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
📚Knowledge, 💡Understanding and ⚡️Wisdom
What is the setting of the Burning Bush?
- 📚Why was this particular Burning Bush an unusual sight?
- 💡What would the course of Moses’ life have been if he had not been curious?
- 💡In Acts 2 Peter preaches the first sermon and the crowd asks, “what must we do?” How would Peter’s sermon have ended if the crowd was not curious?
- ⚡️How would curiosity play a role in Moses faith?
- ⚡️Why was Moses in the desert herding sheep instead of in Egypt with the rest of Israel?
When Moses got close to the burning bush what did God ask him to do?
- 📚Why was it important for Moses to obey?
- 💡Was it a good idea to go barefoot in the desert?
- ⚡️When Moses obeyed was this an act of faith, obedience or curiosity?
What was God sending Moses to do?
- 📚Why would it be important to God that the person who would deliver the children of Israel from Egypt be curious?
- 💡Where does curiosity about Godly things lead?
- 💡Where does curiosity about ungodly things lead?
- ⚡️If Moses was inherently skeptical rather than curious, would he have had the faith to do the things God asked him to do?
- ⚡️How can we cultivate an attitude of curiosity?
What work is God doing right now in your life? Congregation? Job? Marriage?
- 📚Consider Proverbs 8:22-30. What is the connection between the delight that God has in wisdom, the rejoicing wisdom has in God’s work, and the wonder of curiosity?
- 💡How can you act out curiosity about how God will work?
- ⚡️What steps can you take this week to rejoice in God’s work and see what he will do?
Jesus – Saw a Higher Purpose- John 8:2-20