Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
Read: Acts 2:1-8;13.
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
The Upper Room
- Where were the disciples?
- Why were all the disciples in the same place?
- Who was there to witness the disciples being filled with the Holy Ghost?
- What was the significance of the disciples being in Jerusalem for the arrival of the Holy Ghost?
- In what ways was it beneficial for the disciples to all be together?
The Promise Fulfilled
- What was unique about the day the Holy Ghost arrived?
- What were the signs that the Holy Ghost had arrived?
- What are some feelings the disciples may have had while they were waiting for the promise of the Holy Ghost?
- Describe how the disciples may have felt when the Holy Ghost arrived. Do you think that they immediately recognized the Holy Ghost?
- Can you describe a situation in your life when you knew the Holy Ghost was moving in your life? What were the signs?
Experiencing the Power of God
- How might the disciples’ faith have been challenged as they were waiting for the Holy Ghost to arrive?
- What do you think the disciples expected to happen when the Holy Ghost arrived?
- How were others who witnessed the phenomenon impacted? How did they respond to what was happening?
- What was the result of the disciples’ faithfulness to wait in Jerusalem as Jesus instructed?
- How might the Holy Spirit have impacted the disciples’ ability to witness to others?
Waiting on the promises of God
- When it comes to something you were promised, what are the challenges of waiting?
- What are the benefits of waiting?
- What should we be doing while we wait on the promises of God to be fulfilled in our lives?
- How does knowing God intimately, help us overcome the challenges of waiting?
- How can we make sure we don’t miss the power of God in our lives by becoming impatient?
- How can we stay encouraged when others may be mocking or in disbelief of a move of God in our lives?
The Unstoppable Gospel: Acts 2:14-17; 22-24; 36-41