Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
Read: Acts 2:42-47
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
- Where did the believers meet?
- Were these places public or private? Why would this be important?
- How often did they meet together
- What did the believers do when they met together?
- What experiences would the believers have missed out on if they had not met together?
Sharing is Caring
- In addition to common belief in Jesus, what else did the early church believers share?
- Who did they share with?
- Is there any indication that sharing was difficult for the believers?
- What emotions did the believers experience?
- Why did they experience those emotions?
- What is meant by the “fear” they experienced and what was the result (43)
Devotion to God and the Church
- What were some of the benefits of sharing the early church experienced?
- How did their behavior impact their community?
- How often were new believers being added to the church? Should we expect the same today?
- Verse 42 lists what the believers were devoted to. Why is it important to devote ourselves to each of these things? (In your own words, explain why each is important.)
- Sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper/Communion)
- How does our giving glorify God?
Living by the Early Church’s Example
- Describe a time when someone shared something with you that made you feel cared for?
- In what way can sharing with someone draw them closer to Christ?
- How has fellowship with other believers been beneficial to you?
- What does this passage tell us to do with our giving?
- What miraculous signs or wonders have you experienced while in the fellowship of other believers?
- What can we learn from the early church that will help us to have more impact in our current community? What has more impact on individuals: giving or fellowship?
The Unstoppable Faith: Acts 3:1-13, 19