Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
Read: Acts 8:14-25
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
Revival in Samaria (building on last week)
- Why was Philip in Samaria?
- What had God done in Samaria as Philip ministered?
- Why did the church in Jerusalem send Peter and John to Samaria? **
- How does the actions of the church show the importance of the Samaritans receiving the Holy Ghost?
- Where else did Peter and John preach aside from the city of Samaria?
Receiving the Holy Spirit
- What did Peter and John do?
- Was the gift from Peter and John?
- Who was convinced that the Samaritans had received the Holy Spirit?
- Are God’s blessings evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit? Explain.
- Why do you think Simon attempts to purchase the ability to cause people to receive the Holy Ghost and not ask to perform the blessings and miracles?
- What experience would Peter and John draw on to recognize the infilling of the Holy Ghost?
- Describe Examples of God’s power in your life before you were filled with the Holy Spirit?
- How is it comforting/ beneficial for us to have an unmistakable sign that we have received the Holy Spirit?
- What makes laying on of hands so powerful?
- A friend says that God has healed them or worked a miracle in their life, is that evidence they have the Holy Spirit? **
Unstoppable Providence Acts 8:26-40