Pray together for the group meeting, and any pressing needs within the group.
Each week you’ll spend some time reviewing the previous week’s lesson. Did anything happen last week that brought the lesson to mind, and what did you learn from it?
Watch the following discussion-starter video. It’ll set the topic of discussion for the group.
Read: Acts 10:1-8
- One person will first read the scripture selection in the King James Version.
- Next, another person will read the same passages in a modern language or amplified version for more clarity such as the New Living Translation (NLT), Message Bible (MSG), New English Translation (NET), Amplified Bible (AMP), etc. We recommend using the YouVersion Bible app.
- One person will begin retelling the scripture passage in their own words (a new person to start each week is great!) Then…
- As a group, work together to fill in gaps and build the story. This will help us internalize and own it. Be sure everyone participates.
Together, share around the group how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally. Here are some thoughts to consider for discussion… don’t let the discussion stop here, though… what questions can you ask that will help uncover God’s message?
- What was Cornelius’ occupation?
- Was he respected in his community? Give reasons for your answer.
- What about Cornelius would draw the attention of God?
- Would those around Cornelius believe that his relationship with God was strong? Was he saved? Explain.
- How did the spiritual “seedlings” of Cornelius’ relationship with God affect the Gentile people in his household and those in his community?
- Why do you think God chose Cornelius as the one to send the angel?
- How do we know this vision was not just a figment of Cornelius’ imagination?
- Describe Cornelius’ reaction to the angel? Do you feel that there may have been more than just the surface reaction of “fear” that Cornelius was experiencing in this encounter?
- What about Cornelius’ relationship with God and man created the “memorial” that the angel mentioned?
- What attitude did Cornelius have towards the angel?
- Was there any indication in his posture or communication to indicate Cornelius would not obey the angel’s instruction? Why?
- Why didn’t God use the angel to bring the gospel to Cornelius?
- What kind of relationship did Cornelius have with his men in how they responded to his command to do what the angel requested?
- Was there any hesitation from either Cornelius or his men in obeying the request? Elaborate as to why or why not.
- Have you ever experienced an encounter with God such as the vision Cornelius experienced?
- Share a time that God showed you something that was a special confirmation or instruction to do something that brought results.
- What about my relationship with God brings the most satisfaction?
- If God sent an angel to you with instructions, how would you respond?
- Do you think that how we interact with others determines how God may bless our circumstances? Explain.
- Just as the “seedlings” from the “Survivor Tree” in our video keep passing along hope and rebirth to those who have experienced tragedies, how can we share “spiritual seedlings” in our world today to bring hope and spiritual rebirth?
Unstoppable Harvest Acts 10: 9-16