Based on the popular video series, “The Chosen” Season 1, this group will discuss the powerful stories of the lives of Jesus’ disciples, and dive deeper into the scriptures that tell the story. Participants will uncover life-changing lessons about faith, perseverance, forgiveness, and more. Get ready for an adventurous journey through the life of Christ and his closest followers with The Chosen.
Are you ready? Let’s move life forward together!
Each week, we’ll post a brief video discussion starter, along with a scripture setting your group will examine together.
The schedule will play out something like this…
- 7:00 – Time of fellowship and catching up (Some groups will have snacks in homes or at the church, and some will meet at restaurants and coffee shops) (about 5 minutes)
- 7:05 – Pray together for the group meeting (about 5 minutes)
- 7:10 – Share feedback about the previous week’s discussion (about 5 minutes)
- 7:15 – Watch discussion starter video (About 3 to 5 minutes long)
- 7:20 – Read scripture selection (about 10 minutes)
- 7:30 – As a group, retell the scripture passage in your own words, working together to build the story and fill in gaps. (about 5 minutes)
- 7:35 – Discuss together how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally, and to the mission and direction of the church. The discussion handout will have some tweetable statements to
use useas discussion points. (About 25 to 30 minutes)
- End – At the end of the group, you’ll get the scripture passages for the next group meeting.
📋 Ground Rules
Here are some ground rules that will help each group session be fulfilling and rewarding for everyone…
- No one person should speak for more than about two minutes at a time. This gives
opportunityfor everyone to share.
- And on that note, everyone should attempt to participate in the discussion! While it’s not always possible, this should be the rule
- Absolutely no “hyperlinking”. This means no referring to another Bible study, preacher or author, sermon, verse, or text.
Discussionshould simply be based on the video, scripture passage, and personal experiences around those. This allows the scripture to speak for itself, God to breathe through it, and everyone to be on equal footing.
- The only teacher in the room is the Holy Spirit. That being said, your group leader is the authority and facilitator to keep the discussion
on-trackand in-line with our church’s doctrine. Please respect and allow them to enforce these guidelines to ensure a great group experience!
The Chosen – Discussion 8
Episode 8 - I Am He In Canaan, 1952 BC, Jacob and his sons dig a well in Shechem. In Sychar, 26 AD, Photina, a suffering Samaritan woman, fetches water from Jacob's Well. At Matthew's house in Capernaum, Jesus answers questions from the Pharisees, including Yussif,...
The Chosen – Discussion 7
Episode 7 - Invitations In the Sinai Peninsula, 13th century BC, Moses fashions a bronze serpent, much to the confusion of his assistant Joshua. In Capernaum, 26 AD, Gaius escorts Matthew to show his gratitude for his promotion. Quintus questions Nicodemus concerning...
The Chosen – Discussion 6
Episode 6 - Indescribable Compassion Matthew and his associate Gaius deliver Simon's tax payment to Quintus. Nicodemus tries to correct Shmuel for detaining the Baptizer. On the way back to Capernaum, Jesus and his students befriend an Egyptian named Tamar. Suddenly,...
The Chosen – Discussion 5
Episode 5 - The Wedding Gift In Cana, 26 AD, Mary helps her friend prepare for her son's wedding. Nicodemus interrogates the detained John the Baptizer concerning signs and wonders. Simon tells Eden that he will quit fishing to follow Jesus. Thomas and his business...
The Chosen – Discussion 4
Episode 4 - The Rock On Which It Is Built At the Sea of Galilee, Simon misleads the Romans to save fellow Jews from being caught. Quintus suspects Simon of duplicity and sends Matthew to follow him. Shmuel tells Nicodemus of a baptizer on the Jordan River. Simon...
The Chosen – Discussion 3
Episode 3 - Jesus Loves the Little Children Jesus camps on the outskirts of Capernaum, 26 AD. A local girl named Abigail discovers the location and plays with the craftsman's tools while he is away. She invites her friend Joshua to come see Jesus for himself. Jesus...
The Chosen – Discussion 2
Episode 2 - Shabbat A recently healed Mary Magdalene prepares for Shabbat. Matthew validates Simon's claims of negotiating with Quintus. Simon continues to spy on merchants and buys drinks for them and his fellow fishermen, Big James and John, sons of Zebedee....
The Chosen – Discussion 1
Episode 1 - I Have Called You By Name In Capernaum, Mary Magdalene, going by the name "Lilith", wrestles with real demons. While Nicodemus is touring the region, Praetor Quintus approaches him demanding help collecting unpaid taxes. Matthew deals with the turmoil of...