Based on the popular video series, “The Chosen” Season 2, this group will discuss the powerful stories of the lives of Jesus’ disciples, and dive deeper into the scriptures that tell the story. Participants will uncover life-changing lessons about faith, perseverance, forgiveness, and more. Get ready for an adventurous journey through the life of Christ and his closest followers with The Chosen.
Are you ready? Let’s move life forward together!
Each week, we’ll post a brief video discussion starter, along with a scripture setting your group will examine together.
The schedule will play out something like this…
- 7:00 – Time of fellowship and catching up (Some groups will have snacks in homes or at the church, and some will meet at restaurants and coffee shops) (about 5 minutes)
- 7:05 – Pray together for the group meeting (about 5 minutes)
- 7:10 – Share feedback about the previous week’s discussion (about 5 minutes)
- 7:15 – Watch discussion starter video (About 3 to 5 minutes long)
- 7:20 – Read scripture selection (about 10 minutes)
- 7:30 – As a group, retell the scripture passage in your own words, working together to build the story and fill in gaps. (about 5 minutes)
- 7:35 – Discuss together how the topic and scripture setting applies to your life personally, and to the mission and direction of the church. The discussion handout will have some tweetable statements to
use useas discussion points. (About 25 to 30 minutes)
- End – At the end of the group, you’ll get the scripture passages for the next group meeting.
📋 Ground Rules
Here are some ground rules that will help each group session be fulfilling and rewarding for everyone…
- No one person should speak for more than about two minutes at a time. This gives
opportunityfor everyone to share.
- And on that note, everyone should attempt to participate in the discussion! While it’s not always possible, this should be the rule
- Absolutely no “hyperlinking”. This means no referring to another Bible study, preacher or author, sermon, verse, or text.
Discussionshould simply be based on the video, scripture passage, and personal experiences around those. This allows the scripture to speak for itself, God to breathe through it, and everyone to be on equal footing.
- The only teacher in the room is the Holy Spirit. That being said, your group leader is the authority and facilitator to keep the discussion
on-trackand in-line with our church’s doctrine. Please respect and allow them to enforce these guidelines to ensure a great group experience!
Episode 6 - Unlawful Matthew and Simon try to get along as they search for Mary in dark places. The group fears for Mary as they struggle with lack of food and bad news about John the Baptist. Meanwhile, Jesus continues to upset Pharisees across multiple regions. Pray...
Episode 5 - Spirit Seeing a Roman, Mary Magdalene is troubled while memorizing the scriptures. Shmuel and Yanni interrogate Jesse concerning Jesus, leading to them updating the petition to the Sanhedrin. Atticus Aemilius questions Jesse and pursues Simon Z. and Jesus....
Episode 4 - The Perfect Opportunity Jesse, a paralytic, spends 38 years searching for a cure and stays at the Pool of Bethesda while his brother Simon joins the Zealots, training to become one. Jesus and the disciples head to Jerusalem to prepare for the Feast of...
Episode 3 - Matthew 4:24 In Syria, the disciples take shifts to help Jesus deal with a large crowd hoping to be healed. Philip continues to mentor Matthew, while Mary Magdalene and Ramah start to study Torah. A long, exhausting day turns into night as the disciples...
Episode 2 - I Saw You In Caesarea Philippi, Nathanael fails in his project under a Roman commission. In Bashan, Philip arrives from John the Baptizer seeking to meet Jesus, but the disciples are hesitant. Simon is jealous of him as Philip begins to mentor Matthew. A...
Episode 1 - Thunder During shiva for the martyred Big James (Abe Martell) in 44 AD, John interviews fellow disciples as he writes their eyewitness accounts for his book. In Sychar, 26 AD, Big James and John plow a field while Jesus continues to teach the Samaritans....